Day 5 No Alcohol


Yesterday was Day 5 with no booze. I was tested when we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and my husband ordered me a margarita. It was tempting given I had just spent an hour and a half in stand still traffic, when the drive should have been 30 minutes tops. I declined and felt a sense of pride in my resolve. :)



Just to give you an idea of what my alcohol consumption typically is, I usually have an average of two large glasses (see photo) of wine during the weekends and more on a typical weekend. I have gotten into the habit of refilling my glass before it was empty. I'm not sure what that was about (maybe so I couldn't count exact how much I'd had?). I wasn't even tasting the wine after a while. I found myself experiencing too many nights that I couldn't remember and regret for things I'd say, unbeknownst to me. Obviously, my relationship with alcohol is out of whack! I was using alcohol to self medicate for stress and pain, which are interrelated for me. 

Giving up alcohol has been a bit sad in that it's part of a lifestyle I'd dreamed of since I was a young girl. I always dreamed of spending evenings talking over tge day and life over a great glass of wine with my wonderful husband. I achieved my dream and then that dream started to become more of a nightmare. The glass turned into a bottle. Very much like Days of Wine and Roses. 

This reprieve from alcohol has been good for me so far. If for no other reason than to prove to myself that I do have the discipline to control it. 

Whereas the benefits haven't been earth shattering so far, I know I'm headed in the right direction for my health. 

As they say, a day at a time!
Dana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cauliflower Navy Bean Soup with Truffle Oil

The Cleaner for Women Detox Review